Any foreigner who has stayed in Korea for 6 months or more is subject to statutory subscription to health insurance from July 16, 2019.
Here is what you need to know about the new health insurance system for foreign residents!
Foreigners or overseas Koreans who has stayed in Korea for 6 months or more
(6 months counting back from July 16, 2019)
– If the total days of your staying abroad are 30 days or less during this period, you are considered to
have stayed in Korea for 6 months
– If you stayed abroad for more than 30 days during this period, you can register to the national health insurance 6 months after your re-entry date
Marriage immigrants (F-6) are subject to register immediately after receiving their Alien Registration Cards, regardless of 6-month requirement
※ International Students (D-2, D-4) are not eligible to apply until February 28, 2021
NHIS will automatically register you if you meet the period requirements and send you an NHI Card and bill to your residential address
* Please visit the nearest NHIS office (foreigner affairs center) for subscription in any of the following cases
- Your subscription was not made automatically (NHI card was not delivered to you)
- You wish to subscribe to the service as a family unit because you arrived in Korea with family members (spouse or minor children)
Insurance premium is calculated according to your income and assets in the unit of an individual(family). However, if your insurance premium for November in the previous year is lower than average insurance premium of 113,050 KRW, the average premium is imposed for the whole year
- Limited health insurance benefits when using hospitals and clinics
- Limited residence permit such as visa extension
Payment Deadline : You are required to pay the following month's insurance premium
in advance , on or before the 25th of each month
Payment Method : Through automatic withdrawal, virtual account, bank, e-receipt, NHIS branch office (credit card) etc.